A Surveillance Software Using AI and IP Cameras
to Protect Your Home and Loved Ones
- Question: Do I need an Nvidia GPU to run AiHomeGuard?
Answer: You don't have to. The latest AiHomeGuard can run AI inference on different backends based
on the number of cameras you need to support and what your hardware platform is:
- PC with Nvidia GPU (e.g. GT 1030, a $80 card) - this platform offers the best performance with a 2nd or newer generation
Intel/AMD CPUs (e.g. 2-core, 4-thread i3-2100), and can support 12 1080P IP cameras. If you need to support more cameras,
you must use a higher end Nvidia GPU, e.g. GTX 1050 and a CPU with 4 or more cores.
- Intel or AMD Integrated HD Graphics (e.g. Intel HD 530 within i3-6100 CPU); a 6th generation CPU with its HD Graphics
can support 8 cameras. No Nvidia GPU is needed for this option.
- A newer PC (e.g. a Laptop with an i5-11320H CPU, about $500) with an integrated Iris Xe graphics can support 14 cameras; no Nvidia GPU is needed.
- Nvidia Jetson Nano (4GB) device can support four 1080P IP cameras with FPS 8.
The cost: Jetson Nano single board ($99), 128 GB Micro SDXC card ($22), an iUniker Jetson Nano case (with a external power supply
and a cooling fan $10).
- Run AI Inference on CPU; this platform can support two cameras and should be used only if you don't have an Nvidia GPU and
your PC has old or no integrated graphics (e.g. Intel i3-2100).
- Note: the hardware cost may vary due to the semiconductor shortage.
- Question: Do I need to install an app on my iPhone or Android phone to access the videos or images on the PC?
Answer: No. The built-in web server allows you to monitor new alerts, play alert videos, change the monitored areas,
and watch cameras live remotely from an iPhone/iPad/Android device/PC/MacBook.
- Question: Can I access the images and videos on AiHomeGuard Server outside my home network without a cloud base service?
Answer: You can set up your ISP router (modem) with IP port forwarding so that you can access the contents outside your home network.
You can setup a reference to this URL for the email alerts so that you can reach the AiHomeGuard web server over the Internet
to view full images or watch video recordings associated with the alerts.
- Question: Which brands/models of cameras are compatible with AiHomeGuard?
Answer: Any IP cameras supporting RTSP or MJPEG protocols are compatible with AiHomeGuard.
Here are some popular, low cost, high quality brands:
If you already have IP cameras, you can check the brands/models on https://www.ispyconnect.com/sources.aspx
and find out whether they support RTSP or MJPEG. Note that some popular camera bands don't support RTSP
(not compatible with AiHomeGuard), such as NestCam(Goggle), YI (XiaoMi), Arlo Pro, Blink XT, and Ring (Amazon).
- Zmode (most models)
- Question: Can I run the software on a PC with an AMD CPU with integrated graphics?
Answer: Yes. It can run under AMD CPU with AI running on the integrated graphics.
Please check whether the integrated graphics has the same or higher capacity than Intel HD 520 (most 4 years or newer AMD CPU should work).
- Question: Should I use a HD (e.g. 8 MP) camera?
Answer: AiHomeGuard works well for 720P or 1080P cameras, higher resolution will not improve the AI object detection accuracy,
but yield higher resolution for alert images and recordings.
- Question: The user document suggests setting camera frame rate (FPS) to 6 ~ 8. What if I set the cameras FPS to 15 or 20?
Answer: The number cameras AiHomeGuard can handle is based on 6 ~ 8 FPS; the higher FPS will proportionally
reduce the number of cameras can be supported. You may have to use a PC with a higher end CPU to support higher FPS
or enable Nvidia GPU hardware-accelerated decoding (for RTSP streaming)/encoding (for video recording).
Additionally, the network bandwidth may not support higher FPS for all cameras combined,
or if the Wi-Fi signal is weak (e.g. the camera is too far from the router).
The benefit using higher FPS is that the alert recordings look smoother, and the system won't miss fast-moving objects
passing through the monitored area.
- Question: Is there an evaluation copy of the software?
Answer:Yes. You may download
and try out the software for free for 30 days before purchasing an activation key.
© 2022 AI HomeGuard - All Rights Reserved.